Saturday, November 8, 2008

KNOW

The certainty of knowing is a medicine of incalculable worth. I breathe knowing unseen air is present in this room. I know (brake inspections help), my Subaru will slow down when I push my foot against the pedal. If I miss eating several meals I am aware that I will easily get cold outside. After 23 years of marriage I have a good sense of what my wife will or will not do. What I know shapes my behavior, reflects my beliefs and gives me a confidence that ignorance could not manufacture.

Meditation

Psalm 4:3—Know that the Lord has set apart the godly for Himself; the Lord will hear when I call to Him.

How does King David know that God sets the godly apart for Himself? How does he know the Lord will hear him when he prays? By reading through Samuel, the first book of Kings and Chronicles and the Psalms it is evident that David possesses knowledge of God that gives him the ability to make these declarations.

First, David from his childhood learned to trust God. At an age when contemporary youth are mastering video games he was protecting sheep from lions and bears. He trusted God and was unafraid to take on creatures easily capable of killing him. If Goliath knew what David knew, he would never have taken the field to combat his little opponent. A tremendous amount of what David knew about God was fashioned by FAITH.

Second, David compiled a mental record of EXPERIENCES that proved God’s reliability. Over time he saw God do amazing things in his life and the lives of those around him.

Third, David learned about God from his godly parents and from the prophet Samuel. Some of what he knew about God was TAUGHT.

Finally, David invested a significant amount of time building a solid RELATIONSHIP with His Father in heaven. He regularly sought God in prayer, sang to Him and sacrificially worshiped Him. God was pleased with his heart and often revealed His will to His loyal friend.

You know what encourages me about knowing this? We too can be certain that godly living endears us to God and predisposes Him to hear us when we pray. Faith, experience, teaching and relationship are all available to us! The power of knowing is revealed in our manner of living! Something to think about . . . in reveration!