Saturday, November 8, 2008

JOY 2

Throughout history people have always sought joy. But it is not something man is capable of manufacturing on his own. In fact, its very existence is proof of its source.

Joy is not birthed in the brilliance of philosophers. François-Marie Aroue, known as Voltaire, was considered one of the most influential thinkers of his time. Yet he wrote, "I wish I had never been born."

Joy is not achieved in pleasure. “George Gordon Byron, 6th Baron, was a British poet and a leading figure in Romanticism. Lord Byron's was famous for his writings but also his life, which featured extravagant living, numerous love affairs, debts, separation, and allegations of incest and sodomy.” He wrote, "The worm, the canker, and the grief are mine alone." 1

Joy is not purchased with money. Jay Gould, an American millionaire, had plenty of that. When dying he said, "I suppose I am the most miserable man on earth."

Joy is not achieved through position or fame. Benjamin Disraeli, 1st Earl of Beaconsfield, was a British Conservative statesman and literary figure. Disraeli served in government for thirty years, twice as the Prime Minister.2 His most lasting achievement was the creation of the modern Conservative Party. He wrote: "Youth is a mistake; manhood, a struggle; old age, a regret."

Joy does not come from might. Alexander the Great conquered the known world in his day. Having done so, he wept and stated, "There are no more worlds to conquer."


1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gordon_Byron,_6th_Baron_Byron
2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Disraeli,_1st_Earl_of_Beaconsfield


Meditation

Isaiah 12:2,3—Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation. With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.

Kaufmann Kohler states in the Jewish Encyclopedia that no language has as many words for joy and rejoicing, as does Hebrew. Thirteen Hebrew roots, found in 27 different words, are used primarily for some aspect of joy or joyful participation in religious worship. Pure joy is joy in God as both its source and object. King David wrote, "You have made known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand.”--Psalms 16:11

A Hindu trader in India once asked a missionary, "What do you put on your face to make it shine?" With surprise the man of God answered, "I don't put anything on it!" Impatiently, his questioner said, "Yes, you do! All of you who believe in Jesus seem to have it. I've seen it in the towns of Agra and Surat, and even in the city of Bombay." Suddenly the Christian understood, and his face glowed even more as he said, "Now I know what you mean, and I will tell you the secret. It's not something we put on from the outside but something that comes from within. It's the reflection of the light of God in our hearts.”


Joyful kids in Cheptiret, Kenya

Inspiration

Joy is neither happiness nor brightness, joy is literally the nature of God in my blood, no matter what happens.—Oswald Chambers in The Psychology of Redemption