Monday, November 10, 2008

THANKSGIVING 2

Hebrews 12:28,29—“Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our ‘God is a consuming fire.’”
Perhaps it's an age thing. Perhaps I'm in what seems like a mellow moment in life. Whatever, I feel a need to go deeper in analyzing what it really means to be thankful. One thought continues to cascade through my mind and pour over my heart. Thankfulness is not based on what I have but on who I am.
It is somewhat of a heavy thought because if I really believe this some changes are in store. I know that the foundation of thanksgiving cannot come from what I have. For if this was true the center of my gratefulness would be possessions. It is not possessions that make my heart grateful. I can never have enough. What can I take beyond the grave?
Stripped bare, the only thing that really matters is not what I have but who I am. And even my identity is no parade-marching reason to celebrate. Except for one thing, one spectacular fact. My Father loves me so much that He sent His Son to die for me--me!!! In Christ Jesus I have unbelievable value and meaning. I am something because He is everything and He has given me the right to live forever as part of His everything. He would never die for nothing. Nor would He rise from the dead just to prove it could be done. His broke His body for me to bring me home.
How can I not be thankful in the face of such overwhelming love? I want to be worthy of that love. I want my Father to know how much it means just to be able to say to Him, "I love You Lord. I deeply love You. I am because You are! I want to be thankful for the right reasons. I don’t want to just stuff my stomach with turkey and check my calendar off with a perfunctory, let’s-join-the-pilgrims-in-praising-You-for-one-day. You’re too awesome for that. You deserve an offering of thanksgiving every day I am able to breathe. So thanks I’m giving. You’ve given me much to thank about . . . in reveration."
Inspiration
If life is to have meaning, and if God's will is to be done, all of us have to accept who we are and what we are, give it back to God, and thank Him for the way He made us. What I am is God's gift to me; what I do with it is my gift to Him.—Warren W. Wiersbe in Be Myself.