Monday, November 10, 2008

TENACITY

Hebrews 10:34,35—So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised.
Have you ever observed children competing in sports? I think one of the most hilarious heartwarming sights is watching boys and girls on a soccer field. Usually one or two kids understand the game and are competitive. They typically score the goals or perform heroically on defense. Meanwhile, the rest of the players sort of meander around as a herd not really sure what to do, not overly motivated but having fun.
Not long ago, I played basketball with my seven-year old nephew, Joshua Ennis. We teamed up against my two boys. I thought it would be a fun little time of hoops before we headed home. Instead, I had the privilege to see what tenacity looks like in living color. Josh was all over the court. He made swarming bees look slow. There was not a rebound, or dribble or shot he did not contest. He unselfishly passed the ball and essentially ran rings around the three of us. Even Stephen our resident speedster had to be impressed. I don’t believe there was ever one moment when Josh didn’t think he would win. It didn’t matter if the score was against us. He gave his all.
I’ve been around quitters before. You probably have too. In fact I remember times in my life when I have given up and have had to address character issues. I can think of people I’ve let down. I also know it’s pretty hard to keep a good attitude working with people, who when the going gets tough, have a 101 ways to exit the arena. Conversely, it is exhilarating to be teamed up with those who are focused on serving God well and come Hades or stacked H2O aren’t giving up.
Do you know Jesus as your Lord and Savior? If so, you are privy to a dynamic truth. This is love for God: to obey His commands. And His commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God (1John 5:3-5). God has given you the victory through Jesus Christ! So if you are sitting on the sidelines pouting, feeling defeated, looking like a spare tire with a spike through the center, knock it off! Get up and believe! Jesus will give you the strength you need if you will only trust Him and persevere! The world will never fall in love with a Savior whose followers live like they’ve lost! Would you? Tenacity is a must!
Inspiration
Tenacity is more than endurance; it is endurance that has at its heart the absolute certainty that what we look for is going to transpire.—Oswald Chambers in God’s Workmanship