Monday, November 10, 2008

ACCEPTABLE

What thoughts crisscrossed King David’s mind when he penned Psalm 19? His language is deeply reflective. “The heavens declare the glory of God” (Psa.19:1). Creation testifies to the whole world God’s greatness (vs. 2-6). Moving on, he notes, “The instruction of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul” (vs. 7). David lauds God’s word for its marvelous qualities (vs. 8-11), and concludes, “In addition, Your servant is warned by them; there is great reward in keeping them” (vs. 11).

Meditation
Psalm 19:12-14—Who perceives his unintentional sins? Cleanse me from my hidden faults. Moreover, keep Your servant from willful sins; do not let them rule over me. Then I will be innocent, and cleansed from blatant rebellion. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to You, LORD, my rock and my Redeemer.

As David meditated on the majesty of His Heavenly Father and the weight of His truth, he seems convicted by his own shortcomings. Did he feel like some soiled cloak that needed washing? Surely, the fact that he mentions sins ruling over him implies some wrong pattern of behavior or thinking. Or did he just know the proclivity of his heart and seek God’s protection? I’m not sure, but I love his conclusion.

This year, as I daily spend time in Scripture I write down the key verses I’ve highlighted in my prayer journal. The passage of meditation above works over my soul like a tractor plowing soil. For the rest of the year I’m going to start each day praying what David prayed. I’d rather be proactive in seeking God’s protective help than try and live a holy life and avoid sin on my own effort.

I already know there are times I unintentionally break God’s will. For those times, God forgive me. But what concerns me more is when I willfully do what I know to be wrong, feeding the flesh. David called it “blatant rebellion.” Hmmm, that’s pretty accurate isn’t it! Unkind words, impure thoughts, time wasted doing things of questionable or even objectionable value, tending a selfish attitude, the list goes on . . .

Lord of the heavens, Giver of precious, perfect words, let my life be acceptable in Your sight. Let what I say, do and think inside be up to Your standards. I’m totally counting on You! I can’t be what You want me to be without Your help! Yet, with You, I can do all things for Your glory! Amen.

Inspiration
We have to get at what Jesus Christ taught was the highest good, then we can understand why He did not accept the standard of life that we accept, and why He plays havoc with all our lesser “goods” until we get to the supreme good He had in mind.—Oswald Chambers in The Highest Good