Monday, November 10, 2008

DISPOSITION

Guatemala is a beautiful land, vibrantly green, abundant with fruit trees with types of fruit I had never heard of, let alone eaten. The people in Independencia (the village where we ministered) are gracious and loving. Even the February climate was balmy, punctuated by occasional rain showers that cleared the humidity. Each day, we sensed the Lord’s blessing in specific, clear ways. For example, day one: we need a translator! On the way to the village, we met a Cuban pastor from North Carolina who graciously volunteered to help us all day! Incredible! Day two: we purchased land from Arturo, a 79 year-old patriarch who loves the Lord. As we got to know him, he showed us his Bible. Inside was a picture of him standing next to my father. Then he told us his son lived in Japan. It turned out that Fernando and his wife, Makiko, were part of a Japanese church that heard about our ministry and months earlier, gave money to help us purchase property. Incredible!

My disposition was joyful as I headed home. Pastor Eber, Arturo and Edgar accompanied me to Tapachula, Mexico to catch my plane. From there I flew to Guadalajara. I expected to be home before midnight. But a fire not far from the airport shut it down. By the time we lined up to board the plane at 1:00 a.m., the officials learned that customs at the Portland airport would close before we arrived so they cancelled the flight. Can you imagine the range of emotions displayed amongst disappointed, tired passengers? Because I had no checked baggage, I was able to catch a flight bound to Sacramento. At 4:00 a.m. I cleared customs and worked to get a 6:00 a.m. flight to Portland. The Mexicana Airways official failed to enter into the computer my diverted schedule so I had to purchase a ticket with Horizon Airlines (hopefully this will be reimbursed). I got on the plane hoping to be home soon. But the plane had a mechanical problem. We all had to disembark. An hour later, we flew on an Alaskan flight to Seattle. From there I caught another plane and after 26 hours of travel, arrived home.

Meditation
Romans 8:11,12—And if the Spirit of Him Who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He Who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit, Who lives in you. Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it.

Extended travel compounded by unforeseen disruption superbly tests one’s disposition. I am happy to report that the Holy Spirit lives in me and lifted me beyond my natural nature. Rather than complain or find fault with my circumstances, I found cause to pray and rejoice. When my restless leg syndrome about drove me beyond sanity, I found grace in the journey. Twice God put me next to people I was able to serve. I knew beyond doubt that loving friends in prayer covered me. I am reminded again that when I fall it is because my attention is on pleasing my old nature. When I succeed, it is because my attention is on pleasing my Savior. O Lord, help me get it right! Something to think about . . . in reveration!

Inspiration
There is only one way in which as a disciple you will know that Jesus has altered your disposition, and that is by trying circumstances. When circumstances put you to the test, instead of feeling resentment you experience a most amazing change within, and you say, ‘Praise God, this is an amazing alteration!’ . . . The proof that God has altered our disposition is not that we persuade ourselves He has, but that we prove He has when circumstances put us to the test.—Oswald Chambers in Studies in the Sermon on the Mount