Monday, November 10, 2008

SNOW

Outside it fell but until Tom called, I was oblivious. My children cheer at the rare sight of large white flakes gracefully tumbling earthward. Gone are the raindrops plopping their melancholic adagios. Silence. New measures of rest bring dramatic change.

I’m reminded of the One the prophet Daniel described in his vision, “As I looked, thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took His seat. His clothing was as white as snow; the hair of His head was white like wool. His throne was flaming with fire, and its wheels were all ablaze.” (Daniel 7:9) Snow is bestowed theological meaning. Scripture compares God’s clothing to its maximum lightness.

My thoughts find a broken-hearted but relieved David who sang, “Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.” (Psalm 51:7) Can you feel the gratitude of a man who knows that a divine shower not only removes the grit and cake of sin but leaves him glowing more brilliantly than a colored earth blanketed in white!

I think of those flakes born of frigidity, how when molded together they provide a structure that decreases the cold and the sting of hostile winds. God is my shelter. How many caught in the grip of ferocious storms have lived to praise Him because they had the good sense to shape a cave, to build an igloo?

I consider tomorrow where the accumulation of tons of snow on steep-sloped mountains may descend with a roar upon any unfortunate to lie in the path of its cascading fury. How is it that this race of figurines is so easily displaced by noise? What tragedy do we create when we yell without thinking, when we speak without consideration?

A child-voice climbs from my mind’s cellar, “Find gloves and warm socks. Hurry!” I race out and make snowballs to fling at scattering boys. “My cap! You’ve knocked off my cap—good shot son!” Wet snow forms nicely! How many flakes make a snowman? What would the world see if we’d allow the Holy Spirit to sculpt us together in holy unity to proclaim the joy of knowing Jesus?

Snow, we don’t see much snow here. But when it comes I’m thankful.

Meditation
Isaiah 1:18—“Come now, let us reason together,” says the Lord. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.”